What to do if you think your rent increase is too high?

You can request a rent assessment from Consumer Affairs Victoria if you think a rent increase is too high or you are not receiving some or any of the services, facilities or other items that are part of the tenancy agreement.

A request for a rental assessment must be made in writing within 30 days of receiving a ‘Notice of Rent Increase to Tenant/s of Rented Premises’.

You have 30 days from receiving the rent assessment report to apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for a hearing. VCAT may set a maximum rent if the report is accepted.