What you can do to solve a tenancy problem?

  • Try to solve the problem by communicating directly with your agent or landlord.
  • Seek advice from Consumer Affairs Victoria.
  • Contact a tenant advocacy service for information and support.
  • Contact the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).

Reaching an agreement

You and your landlord should attempt to solve any problems and reach an agreement. If you do, put your agreement in writing and have it signed by both parties.

If you or your landlord need to take the matter further, a notice must be issued. Notices are available from Consumer Affairs Victoria.

The amount of time required to comply with the notice depends on the type of problem.

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Consumer Affairs Victoria can give advice

on a range of tenancy issues including:

  • Rental bonds
  • Lease agreements
  • Repairs and maintenance
  • Rent increases
  • Rights and obligations of landlords and tenants
  • Notice periods
  • Goods left behind.

We can also help solve tenancy disputes.

If your issue is identified as urgent, you will be put in contact with Consumer Affairs Victoria’s Dispute Resolution and Reduction team.

Consumer Affairs Victoria can attempt to conciliate a dispute but cannot compel a landlord or agent to resolve an issue. The conciliation service is free.

You can also ask for one of Consumer Affairs Victoria’s inspectors to do a rental assessment if you think your rent increase is too high or if there has been a reduction in services.

Consumer Affairs Victoria can take landlords, agents and tenants to the Magistrates’ Court for not obeying certain obligations under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997. In such circumstances, the Court may impose a fine.

If Consumer Affairs Victoria cannot resolve your problem, you will be given information about other options.

Consumer Affairs Victoria also runs the Consumer and Tenancy Advocacy Program in nine metropolitan and regional areas. The program supports vulnerable or disadvantaged people with a private rental or consumer matter, in areas such as eviction, rent arrears, urgent repairs, compensation claims and disputes that need to go to VCAT. Call 1300 55 81 81 to find out more.